Express who you are; and Describe your understanding of what language and Power means to you.


In this blog, 

I will be expressing who I am, and describing what language and power means to me. 

My name is Hajji Golightly, I am a student at Webster University. I am a project manager and cannot disclose the company I work for. I like to work out and play video games. Mainly Apex Legends. I am a very laid-back person who likes to just relax on my days off. I am a student who is finishing up a degree for Business Management and I am on the cusp of finishing. I cannot wait. I also was in the military for 8 years and became a very distinguished soldier. At a very young age. I joined at 18 years old and became and E-5 before the age of 21. I was all Army soldier of the year 2 years in a row, and I have lived all over the world and experienced many different languages. I am originally from Los Angeles; California and I grew up in South Central. I have always been athletic and very outgoing. I played just about every sport known to man. I personally do not like talking about myself. So, I will keep this section short. The most important person in my life is my father and my mothers. I am big on family; I don’t think it’s anything more important in this world than family. I learned a lot of power dynamics watching my father. Who was an actor, model, director, and a great family man. I hold my father in very high regard. He always taught me to take responsibility. When it comes to power he taught me that it's not as important as respect. 

Also, I am here to describe what language and power means to me. Language is how we communicate, and power consist of a few different aspects like money, influence, resources, or political position. You can express power through language. A debate between politicians is a perfect example of how someone expresses their power through language.     

Sometimes power can be understood even without language. For example, I traveled and lived in Korea for a year and a half. I got to meet all types of people and got to experience a different culture entirely. It was a time where I met the head of the Korean Roc Army. I did not know who he was at first. I recognized that he had a lot of medals and carried himself very well. He just looked like a person with power. He was whispering to people and soldiers were running at his every whim. Later on, he called me to his table, and he spoke great English. He told me it was an honor for me to represent The United States Army and we discussed how the Korean Roc soldiers and American soldiers could better serve each other. Through that meet and greet, I learned so much about power and language.


Comments

  1. I definitely agree with your comment about the head of the Korean Roc Army just looking like a person with power - some people just have that air about them. Also being in the military, I've met some members that seem to seamlessly "walk the walk" and take charge. Do you think that he was a natural-born leader or that he nurtured his leadership skills throughout his career and gaining all those accolades you described? I've noticed some people just naturally have that X-factor that make people stare in awe - sticky eyes is what I call it - while other have to work hard and study leadership concepts just to barely be seen as an average leader.

    Bringing it back to Foucault's Theory on Power, do you think having attained Army Soldier OTY twice was a product of Normalizing Power? In other words - did the Army's culture and Values or did the environment you grew up in - having your dad as a role model to teach you how to be powerful - play a part in your successes? For Repressive Power - do you think your meet and greet with the head of the Korean Roc Army had increased pressure/possible increased consequences for you to represent the US Army? I've noticed there's usually an element of fear especially in international meetings because of the language and cultural barriers, but these meetings are imperative and bring either good or bad credit on all parties based what objectives are being pushed and on how the meetings go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I believe some people are just born with natural ability to lead. I would say that General of the Roc Army had natural leadership. I believe having a father that instills characteristics is the key especially for me. When I walked into the Army. All of my drill sergeants and leaders seen my potential oozing through me because of the confidence and discipline I learned from my dad.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

China - Surveillance state or way of the future?